The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether PSI employs 2100 people.
The Project-Position for SELVEDAS (Services for Large Volume Experiment-Data Analysis utilizing Supercomputing and Cloud technologies at CSCS) is funded by swissuniversities.
For the Development and Consulting Group within the Science IT Section we are looking for a
Software Engineer / DevOps
SELVEDAS and Cloud technologies at CSCS
- Responsible for establishing scientific IT services for the access:
- to computational resources for experiments with high fast feedback analysis requirements that exceed PSI's local compute capacity. PSI and its facility users will be able to use its local and the remote CSCS compute services in a hybrid cloud fashion
- to elastic resources for the reanalysis of archived data at CSCS. PSI local computational resource capacity is sized primarily to cover the needs during the facility experiments and in the immediate aftermath of experiments to enable a period of offline data analysis
- Build up service for data analysis and management utilizing CSCS APIs for implementing the PSI use cases in collaboration with Science IT experts
- Service integration with federated authentication and authorization
- Strong collaboration between PSI, CSCS and the pilot users
- Documentation and outreach
- Experience in developing / deploying scientific software solutions of Linux based HPC / HTC environments including job scheduling (e.g. SLURM) and federated authentication and authorization (AAI)
- Experience with system design and deployment as well as building complex pipelines composed of multiple services
- Experience with VM / containers technology and orchestration would be an advantage
- Experience using RESTful APIs on state fo the art and novel IT environments
- Familiarity with requirements engineering and use case implementation (workflow adaption) would be an advantage
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.This is a fixed-term position. The employment contract will be limited to two years.
For further information please contact Ronny Peterhans, phone +41 56 310 36 20.
Please submit your application online only via this link (https://www.psi.ch/en/pa/job-opportunities/28550-software-engineer-devops) by 21 July 2019 for the position as a Software Engineer / DevOps (index no. 9551-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Sabine Mier, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland, www.psi.ch